Watsu® is an effective form of hydrotherapy to reduce stress and improve overall health. This unique, gentle, and calming experience combine elements of shiatsu massage and water, and it is known to be beneficial for physical and emotional healing.
In this article, we’ll take a closer look at the advantages of this popular aqua therapy in Singapore, what to anticipate during a session, and when it may be the best option for you.
What is Watsu®?
Watsu® is an aquatic bodywork technique that involves stretching, massage, and acupressure in warm water. The term is derived from the combination of the words “water” and “shiatsu”, which is a Japanese massage technique utilising finger pressure to induce relaxation.
This therapeutic experience can provide lasting relief from chronic pain and alleviate stress and anxiety. It is an incredibly calming process which allows you to completely surrender any tension and worries, leaving you feeling relaxed and renewed. Moreover, the Watsu® session can be invigorating, as it helps you to reconnect with your body and rediscover your sense of well-being.
Overall, a single Watsu® session is a transformative experience that will leave you feeling re-energised and refreshed with a greater sense of balance and harmony in your body and mind.
What can one expect to experience during a Watsu® session?
During a Watsu® session, you can enjoy a feeling of lightness while you drift in the warm water as the therapist works through delicate movements and stretches on your body. They will use massage techniques to further relax your body and create a feeling of physical comfort. Additionally, the therapist will guide you through breathing exercises to help you reach a deep state of relaxation, enabling you to gain the full benefit of the session.
What are the benefits of receiving Watsu® sessions during pregnancy?
Watsu® is beneficial for expecting mothers in all stages of pregnancy. It can help you feel relaxed and supported while being mindful of the needs of your growing baby, making the most out of your pregnancy journey.
- First trimester: During the first trimester, when the body is going through a range of major transformations, Watsu® can be beneficial in reducing stress and fatigue and encouraging better sleep. The calming motions of the water and specialised massage techniques are intended to alleviate physical discomfort and promote emotional well-being.
- Second trimester: Watsu® can further be beneficial as your pregnancy progresses into its second trimester. This therapeutic approach can help alleviate pain, increase circulation, and reduce swelling by combining stretching and massage with the buoyancy and resistance of warm water. These benefits can be beneficial during this period as the baby develops and your body adjusts to carrying a new life.
- Third trimester: Receiving Watsu® sessions during the third trimester of pregnancy can provide many benefits to expectant mothers. Not only can the calming and relaxing effects of this aquatic massage help ease any physical discomfort that comes with late pregnancy, but it can also reduce stress levels and help to regulate hormones.
Additionally, Watsu® sessions can improve circulation and lymphatic drainage, helping the body better prepare for labour. Furthermore, the warmth of the water can assist in promoting the relaxation of pelvic muscles and softening of connective tissues, providing you with a greater sense of comfort during this important stage.
What are the benefits of Watsu® for postnatal recovery?
Watsu® therapy can be a valuable tool for postnatal recovery, helping new mothers address physical and emotional challenges while promoting overall well-being.
- Physical recovery: Watsu® therapy can be beneficial for new mums who are trying to bounce back from childbirth and all the physical adjustments that come with being a mother. It can assist with alleviating any discomfort, soreness, or stiffness and enhance mobility and suppleness.
- Stress reduction: Watsu® may be a great way to combat the stress and anxiety that often come with being a new mum. The warmth of the water and the gentle movements create a relaxing environment that can help to soothe stress and boost overall health and well-being.
- Improved sleep: Watsu® is an excellent way to get quality rest. Not only does it provide a warm, comforting environment that encourages natural relaxation, but the movements also act as a form of massage and help ease tense muscles that can otherwise disrupt sleep.
- Boosted energy levels: The relaxing benefits of Watsu® are great for new mums trying to keep up with the rigours of caring for a newborn. It can help you feel recharged and invigorated, improving your health and wellness while helping you achieve a sense of balance.
What are the benefits of Watsu® for babies and children?
For babies and children, Watsu® can provide several benefits, including:
- Improved development: The calming, rhythmic motions in Watsu® can stimulate a baby’s vestibular system, which plays a role in balance and coordination. This can lead to enhanced motor function, stronger muscles and bones, and overall body coordination.
- Improved sleep: Watsu® is widely known for its calming effects on the body and mind, which can be beneficial in helping young children and babies to regulate their sleep patterns. By eliminating stress and inducing relaxation, Watsu® can further enhance the quality of sleep, leading to improved mood and increased energy levels.
- Increased flexibility: Increased flexibility: The stretching and movements performed during Watsu® can help to improve flexibility and range of motion in babies and children.
- Alleviation of discomfort: Watsu® is an effective aqua therapy for children that consists of gentle stretches and massages in heated water. It offers several beneficial therapeutic effects for children with special needs, notably those with neurological, musculoskeletal, or immune-system disorders. The buoyancy of the heated water will allow these children to relax and loosen their muscles, alleviating tension and providing pain relief from aches and physical stress.
It’s important to note that Watsu® therapy should only be performed by a trained and licensed therapist and with the consent of a paediatrician for babies and children.
Incorporating Watsu® into your life is an excellent way of looking after yourself during pregnancy or post-partum. It’s a highly effective form of therapy that can reduce stress, ease discomfort, improve your posture, and enhance your general well-being.
When giving Watsu® a try, you’ll be surprised how quickly you will start to feel the positive effects on your body and mind. It’s a wonderful way to take a break from the stresses of parenthood and reconnect with yourself. So, take a deep breath and give Watsu® a try—your body and mind will thank you for it.
Inspire Mum & Baby is a one-stop holistic centre providing a range of services to mothers and their babies, including Watsu® therapy and pregnancy workouts such as prenatal Pilates in Singapore. The therapists at our centre also provide postnatal yoga in Singapore to help mothers recover from the physical and mental exhaustion of childbirth and regain their strength. Through these holistic services, we strive to empower both you and your baby on your journey together.
Reach out to us today and start your pregnancy journey together with us.